Friday, June 20, 2008

I eat your mind one...

I have a confession to make: I love all things nerd.

I can say it freely and safely knowing that I am one, that my fascination with aspects of nerd life is only to wonder what I might be missing out on.

My recent nerd obsession was sparked by a radio conversation I heard about a documentary that is floating around out there about LARPing. Sounds dirty, right?

Even better -- it's nerdy. LARP = Live Action Role Play. These are my people. People who of their own free will purchase foam swords to keep in the trunks of their cars in case a fight breaks out. People who couldn't let go of Dungeons and Dragons as kids and now are staging epic battles as parts of multi-day LARPing festivals. People who wear capes and verbally cast spells on each other. People who follow a complicated series of rules about which curse/spell trumps which curse/spell (not unlike my food rules). I love them.

Imagine my delight when I came home from work just a few minutes ago to find 2 girls in the courtyard foam sword fighting.

Here's the trailer for the fabulousness that is the LARPing documentary -- anyone care to join me on a pilgrimage to it's next viewing?


The photo is of the "light contact" swords available at LARP-store.com. You've missed my birthday but Christmas will be here in no time.

No comments: