Thursday, November 13, 2008

I'm Back


Okay, the new 'puter is here (like it?), but am noodling through new internet access methods.

I couldn't find the software to install the old cable modem so I am taking my new laptop on its maiden voyage to Starbucks, just a few hours out of its box, to grab some wi-fi time and download the the software I need for home. I feel like a 7th grader afraid that I'm going to blow up the Commodore if I can't figure out how to put in the giant floppy disk correctly -- I don't (well, didn't) know how to get onto a wi-fi system, I'm not sure exactly where the files I downloaded ended up and am hopeful that the computer will just know what to do when I get home later and plug the thing in again.

I really hate not knowing what I'm doing, but it seems to be the theme of my life these days. I've felt like a grown up for the first time in my life this week.

I think I'm going to like the new but different version of online life, though-- the coffee is really good on a cold rainy evening, Van Morrison is on the Starbucks channel, and there is a man with the most amazing toupee just a few seats away, so if I did bang up the software download and I can't sit on the couch in my jammies and do this, I'll surely survive.

No comments: