Saturday, September 27, 2008

A New Nemesis

I have a new man in my life -- and I loathe him. If I were to be in the same room with him, I would surely hurl sharp objects his direction. He is cruel. He makes puns that aren't funny. He is way smarter than me.

Sometimes he is kind, and I only need to spend an hour with him over a cup of coffee. Most of the time, though, he is sadistic and drags out our relationship over several days. Every time he gets under my skin, I tell myself, just walk away. Go read Date Lab, you'll feel better. But I can't. Even during Project Runway I feel drawn to him, just for a few minutes, even though I know it's going to be a bad experience.

It didn't used to be like this -- he's new around the DC area. Those who came before him were much pithier, bolder. Now, I can't even say his name without balling up my fist and sneering.

Merl. Ooooo, that Merl.

Same time next week?

The picture is Nemesis & Tyche, Athenian amphora C 5th B.C., Antikensammlung, Berlin

No comments: