Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Things Will Never Be the Same


As I watched the electoral numbers pile up in Obama's column last night, it became clear that this was actually going to happen. One underexperienced man with multiple strikes against him told a tired country that things could be different, and we believed him. I have to say that I whole-heartedly drank the Kool-Aid -- Obama has an energy and intensity that excites me, and I listened to what he said and found his hope contagious. He is a politician, I know that, but today it feels much much bigger than that.

When I left Virginia Saturday morning to spend a week in South Carolina, I did so knowing that things in my life would never be the same. My husband and I have decided to live apart, and Friday night was the last night we would spend together in a home that we shared. The night was nothing particularly romantic, in fact it was an average, ordinary night with a run to Taco Bell and a scary movie on the couch, and lots and lots of tears. But when Saturday morning came and it was clear that this was actually going to happen, my heart broke all over again and I had 8 hours alone in the car to convince myself that that things could be different,and that even though I don't know what different will look like, I have hope.

Today is a new day in a new world, and the good news is tomorrow will be too, and the day after that, and the day after that. There is good reason to hope.

No comments: