Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blueberries are Better For You


One day in March (maybe April, can't really remember), I was taking a bath before I needed to be somewhere and had my cell phone on the edge of the sink to help me keep an eye on the time. The cat, in her insatiable efforts to scratch her little chin, knocked it into the tub. Plunk.

I'd been meaning to upgrade anyway, so I went to the Verizon store with my drippy old phone (when they took the battery out water ran over the counter, and I could tell from the saleswoman's smirk that she didn't believe it had landed in the tub) and took a tentative step forward in the technological universe - I bought a Blackberry. I have clear lines between my work life and life life, so I didn't link my work email to it (there are no outpatient SLP emergencies after hours or on days off, I'm fairly confident) but did link home email. It took me exactly an hour to become dependant on it.

When I email someone I expect an immediate response. When I text someone, I expect an immediate response. I check blogs, news feeds, my bank account, and the weather with an urgency that is a little embarrassing. I read emails I never did before - the Borders rewards, the Amazon recommendations, the Travelzoo deals. I have no reason to be so connected. It's ridiculous.

It is nice to be able to look up the If Elvis Were My Landlord sketch from The Kids in the Hall away from home, though...

The image is from here, but I'm betting the original is from The Onion.

No comments: