Monday, August 31, 2009

Silly Bus


After much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth, I'm ready for the first day of school.

The department moved my class from the spring semester to the fall semester so I was concerned that the coursework this group didn't have already would require a serious re-thinking of the syllabus, so I moved the lectures and assignments all around, then panicked and moved them all back. Last spring the class was off for the inauguration, spring break, plus the day they wanted off before their comps, but this semester runs straight through (though I bet they are going to negotiate not having class the day before Thanksgiving, which is just fine with me), so I added a couple of things that we'll probably never get to but at least I can say I tried. I spiced up the verbs on the course objectives - no more "demonstrating", we're "analyzing" and "applying" and "integrating". Watch out.

I so want to look like I know what I'm doing... and yet today I got:

1 email asking if there was, um, a text book and if so what was it and where could they find it? Oh yeah, a textbook. I probably should have let them know what it is.

2 emails asking if I knew where the class was going to be held as the website says "see administrator". I have no idea who the administrator is.

Nothing like inspiring confidence before you even get in the door.

I did, however, wash my car this weekend - this ain't my first rodeo, son.

No comments: